The new year is the perfect time to evaluate your closet, so be sure to take advantage of whatever time you have off from work to get your wardrobe organized for 2016. When I put together this list of the 10 must-haves for every woman, I looked to several top designers and stylists for their recommendations before making my final list: Diane Von Furstenberg, Isaac Mizrahi, Tim Gunn, Victoria Beckham, and Nina Garcia.
You can use those gift cards you got for Christmas and take advantage of the great “After-Christmas” sales to even accomplish this on a budget!
You may have many of these items already in your wardrobe, and if you feel that they are classic pieces that won’t go out style then hold on to them. But if you need to add them to your closet, check out my recommendations below.
- Black Dress: Also known as the “little black dress,” choose a short-sleeve style that is around knee-length so that it will be appropriate for most occasions and seasons. Visit the dress department, specifically Calvin Klein, from Macy’s for a great selection.
- Trench coat: The trench coat is one of the pieces that is both classic and trendy, and the coats come in many lengths so be sure to find one that hits around the knee to take you through early winter. Burberry made the first trench, find them at Nordstrom.
- Jeans: A pair of dark wash with straight legs will stand the test of time, but whatever you choose the most important thing is that they work with your body. Check out Paige denim from Nordstrom.
- Any occasion top: Add color to your wardrobe with an any-occasion top without frills so it can be worn under a jacket or sweater. Both Liz Claiborne and Worthington at JCPenney have a wide selection of tops.
- Classic Shirt: The classic white button-front shirt is a staple in every man’s wardrobe and it should be in every woman’s closet as well. THE classic is at Brooks Brothers-West County, the non-iron stretch shirt.
- Skirt: Just like many items on this list, select a skirt that works best with your body, keeping in mind that it should also work for most occasions and seasons. My recommendation is a knee-length pencil skirt in a neutral color like black or gray. Take a look at Worthington skirts from JCPenney.
- Jacket: Women’s jackets should follow the silhouette of a woman’s body and accent the hourglass curve at her waist. Again, select a neutral color like black or gray so it can be worn casual, business or formal. Again, Worthington at JCPenney is a great line for this wardrobe staple.
- Sweater set: Here’s the other place to add color to your wardrobe, and select a color that complements your coloring. Check out Charter Club at Macy’s.
- Flats: Select a ballet flat or loafer that you will be able to wear with jeans or your skirt for more dressy occasions. Check out the great selection of flats at Dillard’s-Chesterfield Mall.
- Heels: Black heels are the most basic items for every woman’s wardrobe. The ladies at Nordstrom all own a great black patent leather kitten heel by Ivanka Trump.