Men also need to get their wardrobe organized for the new year, so here’s my Top 10 List of items every man should have in his closet. Get these 10 essential items in your wardrobe to create many looks, be ready for any occasion…and never go out of style. And the great thing is that all of these pieces work together.
- Navy suit: Choose one with a two-or three-button jacket that you can also wear with khakis or jeans, and select a suit with flat-front trousers. Check out Alfani suit separates from Macy’s.
- White dress shirt: Choose a classic collar (no button-down). The classic non-iron slim-fit shirt from Brooks Brothers is my recommendation.
- Solid color tie: Show your personal style by selecting a color or print that’s “you.” Again, Brooks Brothers is THE place for a tie that will always be in style.
- Black Belt: The rule to match your shoes with your belt is true, so select a medium width black belt with a silver small to medium buckle. Take a look at the Calvin Klein black/brown reversible belt at Macy’s.
- Black dress shoe: Select a classic style and stick with a round toe (not too pointy). The Brooks Brothers hand-sewn penny loafer can be worn dressy or casual, and again, will never go out of style.
- Flat-front khakis: Choose a khaki color in the tan family, not too dark and not too light. The flat-front is a must – no pleats that add volume to your mid-section! You won’t go wrong with the classic Dockers flat-front style from JCPenney.
- Casual Shirt (such as a polo or button-down): Add a little more personality to your wardrobe by adding a print like a colorful plaid. My personal favorite is Original Penguin because the prints are retro cool. Find Penguin polo shirts at Nordstrom.
- Medium wash jeans: Be sure the wash is not too dark and not too light, and they’ll never go out of style. Check out the dark wash selection by AG, Hudson or True Religion from Nordstrom.
- White V-neck tee-shirt: Choose a nice tee-shirt from Calvin Klein, not the ones sold in a package of three. You can find Calvin Klein tee-shirts at Macy’s. This shirt is great under your suitcoat, under your dress shirt or on its own.
- White tennis shoes: Choose a classic style like Adidas or Converse. The classic Adidas or Converse Chuck Taylor from Nordstrom are both solid options.
Remember, you can use these pieces to create other stylish looks. Throw on your navy jacket over the white tee-shirt and jeans, and change into your loafers for a hip look. Or pair your khakis with your white dress shirt, tie, navy jacket and loafers for a preppy look. Or your white dress shirt and jeans creates a cool look for business casual day at the office.